Maison de la Tête de Moine, Bellelay
"Several of us had booked a guided tour of the Tête de Moine Cheese Museum and the Abbey Church followed by an aperitif. We set off on foot from Les Ecorcheresses and kept up a good pace until we finally reached Bellelay. I really enjoyed the tour of the Cheese Museum and the Abbey Church. We learned that it was the monks who invented the Tête de Moine cheese! The explanations of the farming methods from bygone days to the present were well presented. This marvelous and unique day gave us a great insight in the history of this famous cheese and Bellelay, its place of origin."
From June to September
Tuesday to Sunday: 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
From October to May
Wednesday to Sunday: 11 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Monday and Tuesday: closed
Entrance fee to the Tête de Moine Museum: CHF 6.00 per person (Ipad included, no cheese tasting)
Without cheese tasting: CHF 9.00 per person
With cheese and wine tasting: CHF 18.50 per person
With cheese, cold meat and wine tasting: CHF 21.50 per person
Good to know
- The demonstration of Tête de Moine AOP Cheese being made in the old traditional way, over a fire wood, costs CHF 200.00 for one group (max. 25-30 persons, duration 90-120 minutes).
- The information is given in French, German, English, Italian and Russian.
- It is recommended to combine this visit with a guided tour of the Abbey Church of Bellelay.
- Large rooms for conferences and seminars. Snacks.
- June to September 2016: traditional production every Wednesday afternoon from 14:00